Student Exhibition: Witt Gallery featuring Alexander Nixon, ROYGBIV

Vianne De Santiago, March 26th, 2024

    On March 26th at the Witt Gallery on the Sacramento State campus, student Alexander Nixon held his exhibition, ROYGBIV

    The works displayed in this exhibit were of various mediums but came together through the same aesthetic. He highlights the use of lines and colors whimsically when viewing his work. 

    Walking in, the first works displayed are his collages. His collages shared the same theme of creating abstract forms of educational literature. My favorite one from these works was the cat. He depicts the cat in a minimalist way but gives the viewer enough lines to register it as a cat. The cat in the work engages with the background as it plays with a bird. This addition strengthened the piece by connecting the different mediums so they weren’t separate. When looking at this piece more, he uses the forms from the background to create the guide of the cat figure.






    Another work from him that stood out to me was his monotype print, Birds, 2022. I am a printmaking major so when I see prints I am more favorable towards them. When I first saw this print, I saw it exploring different forms. After viewing it for longer, I saw the birds and them interacting. This print was fun and executed nicely. He uses all of his composition space and the directions of the lines help guide you through the work. His interchanging use of the three colors to compose the birds also helped bring the composition closer together. 



    The last piece I wanted to highlight is a fabric artwork he made. This artwork was displayed in the back corner. From this piece, I could see the common theme and aesthetic he brings to his works as this piece was not like his other ones, but it still fits into the body of works. This artwork highlighted his whimsical style the most for me as well due to his use of a vintage doll mouth incorporating it with his style.



Alexander’s show was a strong display of his work and I am excited to see more from him.


Comments

Popular Posts